Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A bit of Cooking

For Thanksgiving I only have to prepare appetizer things so I decided on Cranberry Salsa and my husband's family asked for a relish tray. I won't bore you with my choices for the relish tray but I will be including the salsa recipe. I just finished making it and my older two kids gave it a thumbs up. My mom found this recipe in a magazine last year and it's good, very festive colors too. My friend Alisha- www.polarbee.typepad.com posted a recipe for Apple Crisp on her blog the other day and I finally made it tonight. The only change I made to it was to peel the apples but YUMMY! Finally for dinner tonight I decided on Chili and Cornbread-very opposite of Turkey but that was kind of the point. I just dump a bunch of canned beans into a pot with one pound of cooked ground beef I've seasoned with Garlic Salt. I don't drain any of the beans so I only add a 1/4 cup of ketchup and a few dashes of Worchestershire Sauce. Heat on stove top until warmed through and serve with the Cornbread. I usually choose kidney, chili, pinto, and ranch style beans sometimes I also add a can of Navy beans. You could add black beans but my family doesn't care for them. That's all my creativity for now. I did finish one stamping project unfortunately can't share the picture with you or I spoil the holiday surprise for someone. Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving!

Cranberry Salsa
recipe courtsey of Woman's Day Magazine 12/6/05

1-12oz. bag fresh cranberries (frozen can be substituted)
1 Granny Smith apple peeled, cored and cut into chunks
1/2 large Red Bell Pepper (I used 1 whole pepper)
1/2 medium red onion ( I used 1 whole onion-truthfully too much but I read the recipe too quickly)
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup apple juice
3 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbs. chopped pickled jalapeno pepper (available in the Hispanic food isle)
1 tsp. grated lime zest

Put Cranberries, apple, red pepper, and onion in a food processor ( I don't have one so I used my Pampered Chef Food Chopper) Pulse until chopped. Transfer to a large glass bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients until blended. Cover and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve. Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments: